Monday, 5 November 2012

Hanging out in Hagi

"I am in the front car of a Shinkansen from shin Yamaguchi to Shin Kobe. While i was waiting to get on the train at Yamaguchi a Nazomi train went passed, They are the relay relay fast trains. It zipped through at an astonishing speed in the middle track away from either platform.
The nozomi from kobe to tokyo only stops at two less plassses then my Hikari is, six instead of eight, I'm an not sure if this is why it is faster because it goes through stations or if it travels at a faster speed between the stations. Maybe both? 
(Note after looking into this I was correct it is both that the train stopes less and has a faster track speed 300km/h verses 270km/h for the train I was on.) 

My day in Hugi was fascinating, after getting a map for the information center near the train station i managed to get myself  lost not once but twice. The first time i relisedi was not were i wanted to be was when i  relised i was walking in the direction of Yamagouchi and i should of be en walking to the cost a full 90 degrees in the wrong direction and i had been doing so for 30 minutes. Unlike all other places in Japan for some reason my maps function on my ipad did not work -it may have something to do with not having been in the area with internet connection for the maps to download just a guess. The second time i got lost -which was only 20 minutes after the time before- i managed to be walking in completely the wrong direction. Luckily this diversion lead me to a grocery store which was extreamly fortunate because i had yet to eat breakfast and it was to be all i could find to eat untill 7pm. After a strange breakfast of a cold milky coffee , fruit jelly (which i thought was yogurt) and a packet of rice crackers i set of in the right direction. My first stop was the Hagi Uragami Museum which had a very fine collection of ceramics including a vast range of Hagi-yaki and wood block prints. The range of textures, forms and colours of the pottery were stunning. Some could have been made from dragon skin, such was the  patten of the glaze cracking. Others were liking looking down from an aroplain on a large delta region, with all the venes created on the surface of the bowl. Others again were pock marked, the blemishes making them interesting and unique. I then walked through the old samurai residential district, I viseted the house of Kikuya - a very wealthy and privileged merchants house as well as the ruins of Hagi castle.  once the sun had set I found a cafe that had been recommended to me. I sat in the warmth and wrote post cards while drinking a proper coffee. 

Yesterdays adventure is still to come, but it dose involve snow! 









No comments: